Saturday, February 21, 2009

Marriage Questions

This is a marriage meme that floated around Facebook, but I found it on dooce. I thought it was different enough to put here.

What are your middle names?
Dawn is my middle name & hubby's is Jason.


How long have you been together?
We've been together since December of 1998, married on February 11, 2000...so, married for 9 years, 10 days & together in totale for 10 years, 2 months.


How long did you know each other before you started dating?
I met him in the summer of 1998. A friend of mine used to work across the street from his house. We'd sit on the back porch and watch him and his friends. She got to know them and introduced me. When I had a horrible breakup (and car accident) on Thanksgiving weekend, he and his roommate offered me his spare room. We started "dating" within the next couple of weeks. So, a matter of months, 6 at most.


Who asked whom out?
No one asked anyone out, it just happened.


How old are each of you?
I'm 30, he's 36. This difference in age always has us comparing everything about our childhoods. I often have to remind him that when he was listening to 80's punk, I was still listening to whatever my mom put on the radio.

Whose siblings do you see the most?Hubby is the oldest of three, and I am the middle of five, 3rd of 6 if you include my step-brother (now deceased). My siblings are scattered near and far, mostly far. We live in the same town as his siblings and parents, so obviously we see his siblings more, especially with his little brother living just a few blocks away.


Which situation is the hardest on you as a couple?I'd say money, but we always work through our money issues just fine. Honestly, it would have to be parenting. We've made more compromises on how we parent our sons than anything we've ever tackled. We each have our moments when one of us thinks we have the "perfect" thing to do, and then have to admit the other person was right and try it their way.


Did you go to the same school?
We both went to UNT. He started studying RTVF, got an internship, which turned into a full time job, left school and has not returned since. I went to UNT from 1996-2001, graduating in December of '01 with a BA in English.


Are you from the same home town?
No. I'm from a small hick town in North Texas, and he's a Yank from southern Illinois.


Who is smarter?
It all depends on what you're talking about...I'm book smart, money smart, computer smart. He's music smart, kitchen smart, and car smart. We each excel in different things.


Who is the most sensitive?
Again, it depends. He swears I only have feelings when I'm PMSing. I tell him I swear he only has feelings when he wants sex.


Where do you eat out most as a couple?
Eat out as a couple, that's funny. No, really, the place we go to most is an old college favorite bar of ours called Cool Beans (Remember, we enjoyed this bar on our own at different times.) But they have the best nachos, tacos and the best darn veggie burgers you'll find in Denton. But when we do have a "date", we strive to try something new, different, and not kid-friendly.


Where is the furthest you two have traveled together as a couple?
Arkansas. Due to jobs and kids, we haven't gotten to travel together as much as we liked.


Who has the craziest exes?
It would probably have to be me. The guy that I was dating/engaged to right before hubby started coming around our house (how he found out where I was living still makes me wonder) to "talk" with me. Finally, after he showed up when my oldest son was almost 3 months old, I had to tell him to never come back unless he wanted the cops to visit at the same time he did. We moved very shortly after that.


Who has the worst temper?
Me, hands down. Yes, even at 30 I still throw temper tantrums and throw crap against the wall. But, my kids do not see it and my husband is afraid of it. The adult in me has learned the appropriate time to throw a tantrum...when I'm alone.


Who does the cooking?
We both do. When I met Hubby, all I could cook was pork chops and anything from a box, and he was in the culinary industry. So, he did the majority of the good cooking until I go pregnant with my youngest. Then I started craving things I couldn't find in the store and I was addicted to the Food Network, so I got a Rachael Ray cookbook and started cooking. Whalaaaa....I can cook good food!


Who is the neat-freak?
Again me, hands down. I think I border on OCD because I have my things that must be "just right". Granted, my lovely hubby and my youngest son has helped me "let go" of many of my peeves over the years. But I still do color code my clothes in my closet.


Who is more stubborn?
I am country Texas stubborn and also a Cancer. He is Yankee Chicago stubborn and a Taurus. Take a wild guess. Now imagine how stubborn our two boys turned out.


Who hogs the bed?
Me. Not that I do it intentionally, but I do go to bed first, so doesn't that entitle me to the majority of the bed? In my defense, hubby also falls asleep on the couch...a lot. On the off chance, he does make it to the bed, he just rolls me over and not like that.

Who wakes up earlier?
Me again. I enjoy waking up early. Being awake at 5, 5:30, even at 6 on weekends means I get to work out in peace (if I want to work out), have a hot and full cup of coffee, shower with no one yelling through the door or curtain, or just stay in my jammies and finish the movie I fell asleep through the night before.


Where was your first date?
We never really had "a date". But this would be the closest to a first date. We went to the Square with a friend of ours. Our friend wanted to go into a store we really didn't want to go in, so we stayed outside, sat on the hood of the car and talked, and then he kissed me. Not sure who it shocked more, but it was unforgettable.


Who is more jealous?
Another, it depends. He gets jealous when it comes to guys looking, talking or even breathing in my general direction. I get jealous over stupid stuff, like beer, music I don't like, or Call of Duty.


How long did it take to get serious?
We were always serious. Of course, he realized it much sooner than I ever did.


Who eats more?
Probably him. Except during PMS week when we have to stock up the kitchen like it's Armageddon

Who does the laundry?
We both do. Right now, I sort the laundry. He washes and dries them. I fold and put away, except for my 8 year old's clothes. He's old enough to put away his own laundry. He doesn't do whites or delicates. He says bleach makes him nervous, and I say my undies and work shirts washed in warm water makes me nervous.


Who's better with the computer?
Another depends. He's good at hardware issues and remembering to defrag and all that jazz. I'm good with software and putting the reminders on the calendars that makes him remember to defrag.


Who drives when you are together?
He does. He is the better driver, and for a good part of our marriage, he didn't have a license, so I had to drive even when I didn't feel like driving. I kinda like him driving all the time. It's sort of the one chivalrous thing he does.

No comments: